Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 17 – Your Favorite Memory

Something you need to know about me, I'm not good at picking just one of something! So this post was really hard for me to come up with just 1 favorite memory! I've spent days trying to pick just one! I almost decided to just skip this one since I can't pick just 1 favorite, but then I decided to just pick one of them and go for it.

So, back on May 18 of 2002, (I'd forgotten the exact date but recently found a picture with the date on it, so 6 years before Charity was born, to the day! lol) Dennis and I were unofficially engaged at this point and he was staying in Delta for the summer working. His job was to drive around on a 4-Wheeler in the mountains down there laying poison for the Mormon Crickets. My friend Sam and I had gone down for the weekend. We were staying at a friend's house down there. Dennis and I had plans to go 4-Wheeling. Sam really wanted to go with us but Becky, the friend's Mom) convinced her to stay behind. It was a good thing since Dennis had only gotten 1 4-Wheeler!

I meant to put on the necklace Dennis had given me the nighthe first kissed me but I had slipped in my pocket that morning and forgot about it. I never saw it again :( So, we were 4 Wheeling up in one of the mountains and Dennis was showing me some of the area he was working in and telling me about some of his experiences. It was my first time 4 Wheeling and it was so much fun! After we got done 4 Wheeling on that stretch of the mountain, he went up in a Canyon nearby to start cooking dinner. The Canyon has camping sites and picnic areas so we got our fire started and our tinfoil dinners started. Yummy, he makes such good tinfoil dinners, in fact we're having that for dinner tonight :) So while we were waiting for our food to cook on the coals we went 4 Wheeling some more up the trail in the Canyon. At the top of the mountain we were able to look out over the Valley on the other side. Such a magnificent view! We got to sit and watch a deer for a few minutes too. I don't know how the noise of the 4-Wheeler didn't scare it away before we were able to stop and watch it. We were less than 30 yards away or so from it.

On our way back down to our picnic site the sun was setting and it was a gorgous Pink sunset. Since it was May and the trees weren't full of leaves it was really cool to watch it change through the branches and we got further down. When we got back we ate our tinfoil dinners to fire light and candle light. It was very romantic, of course Dennis is good at being romantic! lol, I got me a good one! Then he set up the telescope he'd brought so we could look at the stars. We'd picked a picnic area with a clearning nearby for just that purpose.

Well, he tried for several minutes to get it focused correctly but was having issues so he asked me if I'd like to try. I said sure. Now remember, it was May and after dark in a Canyon so it was cold! Well, I tried for a few minutes but nothing seemed to look right through the telescope so I gave up and went to stand by the fire. Dennis decided to take the candle and look at the top of the telescope to see if something had gotten on top of the lens. That made me curious so I went to investigate with him. Sitting on top of the telescop was a ring!

He pulled the ring out of it and got down on one knee and took my hand as he asked me to be his wife. It was a beautiful night, and a beautiful ring. It's a night I'll never forget and an an answer I'll never regret! I love you Honey, Forever and Always!

No comments: