Monday, September 6, 2010

Antelope Island

So, though I've lived within several hours of Salt Lake a good portion of my life, I had never been to Antelope Island. I've been bugging Dennis for a couple of years now that I really wanted to go see it and we finally did!

My parents were here visiting and it turned out THEY had never been to Antelope Island either so all of us went for the very first time! It was so much fun. We are definitely going back! Being Labor Day I was a bit worried it might be a bit crowded, Dennis wasn't really sure he wanted to go so it took some convincing. We ended up not leaving here until 1:30 or so in the afternoon. It's about an hour and a half drive there. Well, when we got to Layton (I think it's Layton) we decided we better stop and eat there first cuz we hadn't had lunch and it was 2:30 at this point. I saw a Cracker Barrel and wanted to try it but we decided it was too expensive. Then we saw a Golden Corral that had a sign up about a Senior Lunch of like $5 1/2 and the girls would be free I thougtht so we decided to stop there... Oops. Since it was a holiday they went straight to their dinner prices for lunch and Charity is 4 now so she no longer qualifies for free meals at buffets, lol. So, we ended up spending a lot more on lunch than we had planned on but overall it was really good and we had an excellent waitress who made sure our glasses were never empty and it was just a fun time... So much fun that we were there for 2 hours! lol. But did I mention that I got to eat likea dozen strawberries with fudge? Yummy!

So it was practically evening by the time we made it out to the island. We stopped at the Visitor's Center first and had a look around. It's got a lot of pretty cool stuff, and some pretty cool stuff in their gift shop too... lol. We had intended on playing on the beach and in the water for a littl while but the water was sooooo low that it would have been a long walk out to it and Mom and I were both definitely not up to it so Charity had to be a little disappointed, but she'll get a chance some time. Then we just drove around looking at the animals. We saw a ton! Lots of lots of Bison and quite a few small herds of Antelope. The girls were in love with the Bison. There were several that were right by the side of the road so they could see them really well but all the Antelope had been far away and up on the hillside, a lot harder for little kids to spot. And we even got to see a Coyote! He had been on the road and then dodged into the grass when we came by and we saw him walk away (he didn't even run). So, that was really cool!

Overall, it was a really fun day and I look forward to going again some time!

No comments: