Sunday, October 5, 2008

Religious Ramblings

I figured I'd take some notes on my blog while watching conference this morning :) I'll admit I wasn't very good at listenting yesterday since we were getting ready to leave, travellig, and then visiting so I can't wait for them to be posted so I can read them all. So, here are my religious ramblings, the things that stuck out to me and things I thought about while watching Conference this morning.

First, I don't remember who was talking but he spoke of being on the high ground. And he said something along the lines of those on the high ground are the first to see the light of day and the to see the last rays of night. It dawned on me that means that while we are on the high ground, we'll still have periods of darkness to go through. Everyone has trials in their lives and that's the dark but that by being on the high ground we should see the light of day first and until the last and keep up hope even during the dark times that light will be coming again.

I also thought of several years ago when my friend Sam and I went star gazing at the university. It was a full moon that night and there were several ways set up to see the moon. One of which was just looking at it, how awe inspiring a full moon can be with the naked eye. But then, they had some binoculars for us to use and WOW the detail you can see on the moon just by looking at it with binoculars. Then there was a telescope, you could look at the moon so clearly with the telescope. It caused us to think that that is a lot like our view of heaven and spiritual things here on earth. Everyone is just looking at it with the naked eye, but by having the spirit with you, you get to look at it with binoculars, but then you have those moments where you glimpse so much with a telescope view. But then we took it even further than that, to think that there have been those who have walked on the moon. We knew that's where the prophets have been, they've walked on the moon, they've been able to see those details with the naked eye. I'm sure there are those besides just the prophets (like the quorum of the twelve). But what an amazing analogy we came up with that night. It's something that has stuck with me all of these years and I just figured I'd share it with you now :)

Intersting the Young Woman's president spoke of the same story as the man above about the guy (sorry can't remember the exact name) who was poisoned by degrees as he left the high ground. She's stressing the importance of the fact it was done by degrees. How true it is, the further away we travel from the truth, the harder it is for us to recognize the truth and from right and wrong. "One virtous young woman or young man led by the spirit can change the world." I hope I got that quote right :)

Yesterday, they spoke about being prepared for the situations you are in. I don't remember the exact wording or who was speaking but he spoke of dressing appropriately and that you wear different shoes to go hiking and different shoes to go to the beach, that you are dressed and prepared for the situation. Oh, it was in regards to dressing and being prepared when you go to sacrament. Anyway, anyone seen the shoes I wear hiking? Yup, they're my heels, ofcourse I wear those to the beach and to sacrament as well so I guess I'm always ready with my footwear :)

There is no tomorrow to remember if you don't do anything today,. finger prints on every surface, toys scattered around the house, piles and piles of laundry to do, they will all disappear too soon. Don't let them get in teh way of what is the most important, and that is the people around us, don't assume they know, tell them. Don't let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved.

1 comment:

SarahAnne said...

I loved those same comments! I am excited to listen to them again online. It was such a great conference. I heard almost all of each session, and that hasn't happened for years. I didn't even fall asleep. I feel so hopeful and rejuvenated. It was a great 2 days, and last week's RS broadcast, too. So wonderful!