Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ramblings

So, our stake has a marriage class that started today called Strengthening Marriages. There will be 7 classes total for it. Tonight was the first time and while we were there the instructor made a really interesting comment that hit me. He was saying how people used to take temple marriages seriously but now even temple marriages see the same rate of divorce as the rest of the country. Isn't that sad? That something so sacred and binding hardly means much to people anymore. I know I went into marriage knowing it was going to be something that would be forever. I'm not sure I realized how hard it could be at times, but I still know it's meant to be.

And I know I've only got 6 years of marriage under my belt, (Wow, how the time flies!) but Dennis and I are going through a hard time right now, we're both just having a hard time communicating what it is we need from the other. I think that's part of the reason we decided to go to this class. But I can't imagine every other couple out there fighting to make their marriages work. Granted, sometimes there are valid reasons but it seems that's not usually the case. Maybe this subject is just so close to us right now because of what's going on with his parents. My IL's (in-laws) are actually going through a divorce right now and FIL (father in law) is living with us. No one really understands why exactly since MIL (mother in law) hasn't really given any reasons, but Dennis and I know that we NEVER want to see our marriage at that point. EVER. It is just so heartbreaking not only because of what it's doing to them but because of what it's doing to the entire family.

Dennis actually has nightmares about it sometimes, it's just so heartbreaking for him. It's just something you never expect to see happen, to other people's parent's maybe. But not your own. Granted his parents had been having troubles and things had been really rocky for a few years but I don't think anyone expected this to happen. It's just so sad.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Danielle had her 4 month appointment on friday! She weighed 12lbs, 12oz and was 25" long! The appointment took forever but it was nice to know she's gaining well :) She didn't handle the vaccinations very well

Last night we rented Made of Honor and watched it. My neighbor had heard that it was really cute and while I thought it was an ok movie, I didn't really care for it. It was similar to my Best Friend's Wedding only with a guy starring but it was a bit different as well. I did like the fact that he didn't actually do anything underhanded or sneaky to try to sabatouge it like in My Best Friend's wedding and there were some funny parts in it. The thing that bothered me was the guy's love seemed purely selfish. It wasn't really love for her, it was more like loving what she did for him. I don't know, I could be way off base here, but it doesn't seem to me that you love someone for what they do for you. Maybe that's a lesson I need to learn, to not be selfish in love and that's why it struck me that way. But maybe that's how a lot of love starts, then after it's had a chance to grow and mature some you can find that it's not about that anymore. It's gotta be about loving the other person without expecting anything in return.

2 comments:

Mama Bear said...

We went through that class this summer and it was great! I recommend doing every "homework" assignment individually and then together. The ones we did that way had the most effect for us. Funny about that movie, we rented it the other day too and we didn't think it was all that great either. Besides the shallow plot, we thought the acting was very subpar. Anyway, good luck with the class!

Julie@My5monkeys said...

per your question at my blog:
cedric diggorey-- Harry Potter Goblet of fire