Sunday, October 18, 2009

More Detailed Explanation of Android

Ok, so it's really easy for me to go all technical and then have no one know what I'm talking about, so for those of you out there who want to know what on earth android is. Here's a better explanation (I'm sure you know what Java is since it's practically a neccessity online nowadays).

Android is an open source operating system for cellphones. Though there is one coming out for laptops or netbooks as well. Open source means they provide the code and anyone is allowed to program for it. When I was looking at downloading the utilities provided by android for programming an android app, I found out that their apps are written in java, so that's how they tie in together.

It terms of the android devices (the Mytouch phone is one example) it's similar to the iphone in that it will have a large marketplace for apps and anyone can write an app and submit it for other people to be able to use. You can find more specific info on the android website. So, anyway, the phone is practically suppose to be a handhelp computer. I like the upcoming Motorola Droid because of it's hard slide-out keyboard (won't just have a soft-one on the touch screen). As well, the specs for it look great! My only problem with it really is that it's a Motorola, but I'm really hoping they've made a good one this time! So, as soon as it comes out I'm going to be checking it out and if I really don't care for it, I can wait and see about the HTC Desire (I think that's what's rumored as to what they're naming it anyway. It only has a soft keyboard though, which isn't as appealing to me.

For more information on these and other android phones (out, announced, and rumored!) you can check out my favorite websites to check out :)

Phandroid.com
Boy Genius Report

If you've got any other questions, let me know!

No comments: