Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Root Canal...

So, today I went to the dentist to get a filling. In May of last year when I went to the dentist for the first time in a lot of years... I needed 5 fillings but since we had to spend a lot of money on getting Charity's tooth fixed we decided to wait until this year to do anything with our teeth. Dennis needed a few fillings too.

Well, my tooth had been starting to bother me a little bit lately and they prefer for any dental work to be done during the second trimester and that's pretty much up so I called to get them taken care of. We set up 3 appointments to do the 5 fillings. One for today, one for next Tuesday and one for next Friday.

Well, today when he was working on my filling. Today it was just one tooth, and the one that had been bothering me. He discovered that this one is now to the point that I don't need a filling anymore, I need a root canal. He started off preparing the tooth for the filling, and hit the nerve. Ouch did that hurt! We then ended up taking an x-ray of that side of my mouth to see just how bad it was. We didn't do that a couple of months ago at my cleaning because of the pregnancy, though I mentioned that side ocassionally was giving me issues they didn't think anything of it then. Well, then he decided he wanted to check the worst of my other teeth that needed fillings to make sure they weren't going to need root canals before I came in for just a filling. So, they took x-rays of the other side. The other teeth are pretty much the same as they were before, it's just the one tooth that got so bad :( So, we changed the appointment for next Tuesday to do fillings for the worst 2 teeth to get them taken care of, and then for the following friday I'm getting a root canal :( The rest of the fillings he said we can take care of later.

Lucky, lucky me. And it's going to cost a whole lot more to get a root canal than just a filling! So it would have been a lot cheaper for us (several hundred dollars, ouch) if I'd just done atleast some of the fillings last year. Oh well now. So, hopefully I'm not in too much pain over the next couple of weeks! I have a temporary filling in the tooth until the root canal, an antibiotic prescription to take care of the start of an infection and orders to call him and let him know if tylenol isn't enough to manage the pain :(

No comments: