Friday, July 2, 2010

Oregon Trip, Day 2

We were suppose to start out bright and early that morning, I thought we were leaving at 7 but found out I'd been overruled to 8. I would have preferred to leave even earlier though! Mom and Dad hadn't gotten their car packed yet so we were all helping them get it ready. Laura and Kevin got there just after 8 ready to go and they helped.

Now, we would have been able to get out of there on time EXCEPT that Dennis noticed Roy's car was gone. Typical, trying to avoid a confrontation, brother of mine. He decided he wasn't going so he just left during the night instead of dealing with an argument in the morning. So Dad was upset and wanting to go look for him and calling around trying to find him. Luckily when Dad texted Roy threatening to go to Logan looking for him, Roy texted back! So we finally made it out of there around 9:30 or so I think.

Next we had a stop in Pocatello to get gas and to meet up with Steve and May's family. We then took a potty break at a Home Depot... and then had breakfast/lunch at Burger King.
Back on the road again! Laura and Kevin ditched us after the Home Depot because they were meeting up with Kevin's sister for a little while in Boise so they headed on without us with a plan to get back to gether after that.

On our way we ended up stopping in Jerome at a Walmart for another potty break and then we ended up doing a shopping trip while we were at it! Lol, at this point we'd been OUT of the cars as much as we'd been in them! We were at Walmart for about an hour and a half if I remember right. Then in Boise we got gas, caught back up with Laura and Kevin and continued on our way. It took us a little while to get to the gas station in Boise because I pulled the directions up in my phone cuz Dad wasn't sure where it was, but I never turned on the GPS so it had us in the wrong starting location so we took the long way around... lol, Dad said he wasn't so sure about my GPS anymore.

Dad wanted stop for lunch/dinner just over the Oregon/Idaho border so not long after crossing we stopped at a grocery store to buy cheese and lunch meat and stuff for sandwiches. Then we ran into the rain! Yup, Oregon greeted us with a nice big rain storm! lol. We ended up stopping at a turn off by the side of the road when there was a pause in the rain and let the dogs out to go potty. We had some miscommunication between vehicles so Mom and Dad along with May and Steve got some food to eat but Laura and Kevin, and Dennis and I thought we would be stopping again shortly to eat so we didn't... Oops!

A while later we stopped at a roadside cafe for a potty break. The rest of us made some sandwiches and stuff to eat then and fed our kids! It was a good thing we'd packed lots of snacks in the van for the trip or we'd really have been starving! I felt bad about all of us using their restroom so I bought a piece of blackberry pie from the cafe before we left. It might have been better warmed up, but I did wait over an hour to eat it... I dont' remember what time it was by the time we left the cafe but it might have been 6 or 7 at that point, maybe later, I really dont' remember. I do know that we still had a lot of drive time left in front of us!
We did see an amazing rainbow when we broke free of the cloud cover! It was a double rainbow and was pretty much complete! I didn't manage to get any good pictures of it though :(




Mom had brought walkie talkies for us to put in all the vehicles (there were 4) so that when we had areas of no cell coverage we'd still be able to get a hold of each other but they'd gotten packed and were never gotten out during our ride there. It would have been really nice if we had gotten them out though because the lack of communication that day between vehicles was one of the most frustrating parts!

So, sometime after the cafe but before we got to Bend, OR we had a kid who had to stop for a potty break BUT no service to tell anyone we needed to stop so we pulled over (saw some deer too when we pulled over!) We figured we'd just catch up we still had another half hour or 45 minutes until Bend. Well, we ended up not being able to catch back up before we got near Bend. We were staying in a hotel in a little town called La Pine somewhere near Bend, that's all I knew, lol. So, I put the hotel information in my phone and pulled up the directions, turning the GPS on this time! So, we're just about past Bend when I get a call from Mom asking me where we're at. Only she doesn't mean where is Dennis and I but where are we all at! She didn't realize we'd never caught up, I told her I could tell her right where we were but I had no idea where they were! Well, the directions Dad had printed out for everyone took them on a long meandering course around the outskirt of Bend or something and they had no idea where they were going! I told them which roads my GPS had us take, at this point we were out of Bend and headed on. I saw a sign for La Pine which said 25 more miles and was SO relieved because at this point it was just about Midnight and we were exhausted!

Well, Dennis and I ended up getting to the hotel about 10-15 minutes before everyone else got there! We had a good laugh about how Dad would feel about my GPS now! lol. Dad had ended up getting 2 suites and a double queen room (all they had left). Him and Mom and along with Steve and May and their kids stayed in one suite. Dennis and I and our kids, along with Michael and Gabriel (my nephews) stayed in the other suite and Laura and Kevin and their kids stayed in the double queen room. I must admit, our suite was pretty nice! We were all so thankful to get to a bed and a chance to go to sleep! Ok, so the kids had been asleep for a while so they didn't care so much but all of us adults were!

No comments: