Sunday, July 4, 2010

Our Oregon Trip, Day 4

4th of July! Independance Day! Fireworks!

So, we had planned to have this day be a quiet day at the house recouping from travelling and then going to watch the fireworks over the harbor that evening.

Steve and May had gone for a walk that morning and Steve told us after walking down to the Beach he didn't think Mom would be able to make it down there. We had thought the house would be right up on the beach and be an easy walk to the seashore but it turned out that we were still up the cliff a little ways and had a hike down with some steps cut into the side at the very end. When we went down later that day Laura decided we could definitely get mom down to the beach if we wanted to, but there was no way we were getting her back up! lol.

That afternoon, Dad and Steve and May went to the store. Mom stayed at the beach house with Steve and May's kids. And the rest of us headed down to the beach. I knew that my little Danielle would burn in minutes without sunscreen (she burns SO easily) so I made sure I put sunscreen on us, well atleast on her and I. I don't remember if I got any on Charity or not, it's not like she ever burns anyway, lol.

So, Dennis' first time to the beach! I think he enjoyed it. I didn't get any pictures at the beach this day, though, because I'd forgotten my camera and my cell phone but here's a picture of our beach.

I think Steve may have gotten a better picture but I haven't taken the time to go through anyone else's pictures except my own at the moment.

We were down at the beach from about 10 or 11 that morning until 2 or so that afternoon. It was so much fun! Laura and I went beach combing and then Dennis and I went beach combing and the kid just played and played. We were on the southern coast of Oregon which means it wasn't that hot here, I think the high this day was in the low 70s. Gabriel spent most of the time actually out in the ocean waves though! I don't know how the kid didn't freeze to death! Everyone had so much fun though and it was great being able to sit on the beach and dig my toes into the sand :)

It wasn't until later that evening I'd realized my big mistake :( I'd somehow managed to miss putting sunscreen on my BACK and it was SUNBURNT! Owie, Danielle as well had gotten a little sunburnt, turned out Dennis got his legs burnt a little and guess about Charity... not even pink! lol, I'm telling ya, that girl does not burn! lol. Well, I luckily had packed the aloe vera gel so that helped soothe my back a little but OWIE! I paid for it the rest of the trip!

While Dad and Steve and May were gone (they were still gone when we got back from the beach, and left before we did) it turned out Dad had taken them on a tour of Brookings to tell them about the area where he grew up. When the visited the harbor it turned out that people had been camping out already and the harbor was full so we wouldn't be able to go watch the fireworks over the harbor. I'm still sad that we didn't atleast try to go or go north and check out Gold Beach to see about their fireworks that night but dusk caught up to us wayyyy to quickly and before we all knew it it was dark and past bedtime anyway.

No comments: