Saturday, November 13, 2010

Update on Us

It's been a few weeks since I posted about what's been going on in our lives and while I know my grateful posts are appreciated, it's always nice to hear more than I'm thankful for this or for that :)

So, what's new? Rebecca turned 6 weeks old this week! I can't believe how fast the time has flown by since she was born. I'd bet that she's 8 1/2 or 9 lbs already. She is just growing so fast. I tease her that it won't be long before she's bigger than Danielle! lol. I definitetly need to get some pictures taken before she's not so little anymore!

In the last few weeks Dennis and I have both recieved new callings as well. Though, they said they're keeping him in Primary until after the Primary Program next week. My new calling is a Bear Leader in the Cub Scouts! Most of the boys I taught in Primary last year so it's nice that I don't have to try to get to know a whole new bunch of kids. I'm a little excited, and a little scared at the idea. lol. But at our next Pack Meeting (my turn to plan) we're going to be doing knot tying! lol. Seriously, it's one of the few things one of our boys need to complete his Bear, so first thing I'm doing in Cub Scouts is a total cliche scouting thing and I'm excited about it! lol.

And here's why I don't get that they left Dennis in Primary and not me. He's the new Assistant Executive Secretary for the ward. I think he'll do great at that calling! And he's just thrilled it wasn't a teaching calling. lol. Totally changed my idea of a Christmas present for him. I know, I know, I shouldn't be talking about what I'm getting him so I don't ruin the surprise, but after 1 day of researching, knowing it was going to take a lot more time and decision making, I told him so he could be part of the process. I had initally planned on getting him an ipod touch for Christmas because he really enjoyes listening to the audio books but with this calling he's gonna need to be organized and use a planner/calendar stuff so I figured, why not just go with an ipad? Then I looked at the price... lol, those things are expensive. But I'm not really an apple fan and I LOVE my android smart phone so I decided to see if there was an android alternative...

There are LOTS of android alternatives, and I've finally settled on one for him. It will be available in a few days. The Archos 70. It turned out he didn't really like the size of the ipad, he would prefer something with a little more mobility to take places. The ipad has a 10" screen. The Archos 7o has a 7" screen and it looks like it's got some great specs, and it's running Android 2.2, and it's NOT apple! Seriously, apple and I don't get along...

I was showing him some cool new apps I found this week on my phone so now he's stealing my phone atleast on Sundays until he gets his Christmas present, lol. They are great apps put out by the church! If anyone out there has an android operated device, search for lds on the market and you can find them. There is Ward Central/Stake Central that's an app that downloads your ward and stake information from lds.org straight to your device. A widget app called Scripture a Day that puts a scripture on your homescreen. Then there is the Gospel Library put out by the church that includes the standard works as well as conference talks and some manuals like the Gospel Principles Manual, very cool app! There's the Mormon Channel app that allows you to listen to the Mormon Radio station, as well as has a wide selection of audio files to listen to and the videos that are put up on their youtube station. It's such a treasure trove of great information! I've also got a widget app to listen to the Mormon Radion Channel from the homescreen. Then there is LDS Magazine Lite, that has the church publications, though in the Lite version you can only read the current issues. I'm considering paying for Stake Central and for the full LDS Magazine one to have access to a lot more information. I know there has got to be more apps on the market like those that would be useful so I'm gonna start looking. I just LOVE my android phone, and I can't wait to get Dennis an Android device to use as well!

No comments: