Sunday, December 13, 2009

More Droid stuff...

So, at lds.org in their Gospel Library they have a link to pdf documents of the Bible and the Tripe Combination (Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price & Doctrine and Covenants) but also The Ensign and The Friend and their other pubications. Well, pdfs are sort of a pain to read on a phone because (and I guess it's the same with some book readers) you can't bookmark your place and have to remember where you were and navigate around by page number and stuff.

On Android there is a program called Aldiko which is an e-book reader where it keeps track of your last spot and you can put in bookmarks to easily go back to a certain spot, and it has an easy to use table of contents. So, while I was looking around the Aldiko site I found in their FAQs that there is a program called Calibre that can convert pdfs to epubs (which is what Aldiko uses) so I've downloaded Calibre and have converted the Holy Bible and the Triple Combination from the church's website over to epub files. It seems there is a little issue with the formatting in the beginning of The Bible so far (I haven't had much time to look at it) so I might try to fix that. They're also such large files they take a little while to open so I might seperate them out a bit or something. If anyone would like a copy, let me know! I think each month I'm going to do the same thing with The Friend and The Ensign. I haven't converted any of those over yet to see how it goes but I will be within the next few days.

Have I mentioned I love my phone?

2 comments:

Steve Eccles said...

I just bought a Droid and am at the beginning of the learning curve. I had an iPaq and loved Yanceyware Reader and downloads and hope that Droid soon has a comparable product. I'll keep tabs of this site to see what you discover.

Sarah Jayne said...

I really like the Aliko program and then there is another I've downloaded but haven't tried out yet called Word Player 3, it is set up to interface with the Calibre program, which also has a really good set up for organizing your ebooks for you.