Friday, June 12, 2009

Our Adventure this week

So I was going to blog about this the other day after it happened but now a few days have gone by. Most of you already know about this but I like to think of this blog partially as my journal so I can look back in a few years and read it. So, on Tuesday after we got back from the gym I took Danielle in the house (she was sleeping) and then stayed outside with Charity. I had decided to switch the carseats around for which side of the van they were on and so I let Angel outside with us while I was doing that. When I got I told Charity we needed to go inside and as she was getting out of the minivan she pushed the button to close the door. Frustrated I said, Charity you can't leave Angel in the minivan! So, what did my little girl do? She tried to open the door back up to let Angel out! Well, the door does have a tension release whatever you call it so that if it "bumps" into something it's suppose to reverse and go back out. Well, three year olds have little fingers and she didn't think to get her hand out of the way so the door got her fingers :( Now, it did finally realize something was there and open back up so it never fully closed but when she pulled her hand away it looked like one of her fingers was bent in a funny direction. So, what does mommy do? Mommy freaks out!

I stuck her back in the car, called Dennis on the phone, ran over to Tiffany's to ask her to watch Danielle (I figured that was quicker than getting her in the van and dealing with a baby in tow) cuz I was taking Charity to the doctor. Now, by the time I got back over from Tiffany's, got our insurance card and was on our way she seemed more upset about me taking her to the doctor than about her fingers. But it was the two fingers she sucks on and she had yet to even try to put them in her mouth as far as I could see and she wouldn't bend her fingers for me or move them around. Of course maybe she was just afraid mommy was going to to freak out again :(

But I did take her in, the doctor told me that at such a young age their bones are still pretty malleable so since the door hadn't shut all the way he doubted her fingers were broke. They did X-Rays to check out her fingers and all was well! She thought it was cool to see the pictures of her bones (the first smile since she hurt her fingers) and LOVED the band-aids they gave her.

Probably if I hadn't of freaked out and waited 10 minutes I never would have taken her in because I would have seen that she was acting fine but I would have worried for a while so it's probably best that I did take her in. But I've decided next year, I'm changing our insurance to one without as high of a deductible! Apparently kids can go through that really quickly. lol. But things are good, she's fine and makes sure to mention every time she gets in or out of the van that she's not gonna stick her fingers in the door again so I guess lesson learned... until number 2 decides she wants to learn the lesson. Oh, I hope she doesn't have to learn the hard way!

No comments: