Thursday, May 28, 2009

We did IT!

We got a dog. Her name is Angel, until further notice. lol. The name the rescue gave her was Angel and I think it's because she acts like a little Angel. Anyway, we haven't decided yet if we're going to rename her or not but if we're going to we'd better hurry up and decide! Onto the fun information, she's a little dog, a dachshund pekingese mix. She doesn't bark a lot, chew on things, is mostly house trained (you've gotta watch for her cues or you're out of luck), good with kids, a good ol' lazy dog :), really just a very well behaved dog. Here is the picture of her from Petfinder (Dennis wonders how I was interested in a dog that looks evil, lol):

Angel Petfinder Pic

We did have the problem on Tuesday where she nipped at each of the girl's once but I told her no each time. I talked to the rescue about it and she'd given birth to 3 puppies at the rescue and although they were weaned and old enough to be adopted out themselves, she did leave 2 of them there so we think she might be trying to treat them like her puppies and I just had to tell her that wasn't ok. (My mom said that was to be expected with little kids around but you want to make sure you can trust an animal that's around your kids!). She's done better since then though which is great!

Angel

Anyway, so a cute story. Monday night when we brought her home, after we introduced her to the house I took her out back to go potty. Well, I decided to walk around the perimeter of our yard (since the one side isn't fenced in) to teach her our property boundaries and not thinking I took her to the front. I hadn't put the leash on her since I was planning to stay in the backyard. So as soon as we got to the front yard and she realized there was open space she just took off running. Me not thinking except for Oh no! What if she get's lost or run over!?! took off after her. Well, it took me about a block or so to realize that she thought we were playing because every so often she'd stop and look back at me. So, at that point I just stopped. The next time she stopped and turned around she saw that I wasn't chasing her and just waited. I said, "Angel, come." And she came right back to me. I carried her home since she's too short to try to just hang onto the collar but I should have let her just walk (I bet she would have followed me). So, then the next day on Tuesday (my birthday, yippee!) after we got home from the gym Charity let her out of the house through the garage door (we were working on going on). Well, Angel took off running again. This time I waited a minute and then I walked up the driveway to where I could see past the house. Angel was waiting there right on the edge of our property. The minute she saw me she ran a few feet and then paused and looked back again. Once again I said, "Angel, come" She came right back and she hasn't done it again even though I don't put her on the leash when we're outside in the yard. (see, I said really well behaved, didn't I?)

Angel

Charity loves to have her sit on her lap when we're in the car. Oh yeah, did I mention she travels really well? So here she is sitting on Charity's lap:
Angel's Ride Home
Now she tries to share Danielle's carseat with her but Danielle doesn't like it so I make her move! I'm going to have to try to get some cuter pictures. But yep, that's our dog.

(I weighed her this morning and she weighs 12lbs!) See, little.

1 comment:

Kim said...

She's a cutie and sounds very well behaved. Good choice.