Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I LOVE modern technology

So I knew the hard part about this trip would be spending two whole weeks away from Dennis. Him and I just have a hard time being away from each other for long. So in preperation for this trip we ordered a webcam so one of us could use the laptop and the other have the webcam (hadn't decided yet if I was taking the laptop or not) so we'd be able to do video calls while we were gone. So last night we got to talk to each other over video and it was SOOOO wonderful. I can't begin to even say how nice it was to be able to see him and interact with him even though we are so far apart. So yay to modern technology! And ofcourse we're going to talk again tonight when he is off work!

In addition to that I just thought I'd mention the other modern things that I am so thankful for on this trip. The first thing that my mom pointed out is 100s of horse power (how much does my car have?), lol, if it were 100 years ago it would have taken us weeks or months to make the trip instead of hours. I don't want to try to begin to imagine how long the trip would have been back then, ofcourse I doubt we'd be making a trip like this if that were the case! Next cell phones! It's nice to know that if for some reason we break down on the side of the road we are only a phone call away from help! But they also give us even more ways to communicate with the ones we love. Dennis and I have texted each other back and forth like crazy since we left and it's been really nice to stay in touch that way as well. GPS! I got Dennis a GPS system for Christmas and I borrowed it for this trip and him and I always worry about getting lost when we're somewhere that we don't know and it's so very useful to not worry because I know the handy GPS unit is in the car and will be able to help me get where I need to go and to find things! On Sunday we went to the zoo before we left so that Mom and Dad could get their zoo pass set up that us kids gave them for Christmas and we were in the middle of Salt Lake and Charity says she needs to go potty! So it's ok, where's the closest gas station? And then how do we get back on the freeway? We were covered. Then today we drove Aunt Kathleen to where she works to visit some family and then grabbed some lunch and headed to a park. While we were at the park Dad asked me if I knew where we were. Uh, no, was I suppose to? and he said in relation to Aunt Kathleen's house and I told him no, I didn't but if I needed to find her house my GPS was in the car and we were good :) There are so many other things technology wise that has been useful but these are by far the best! I'm so grateful for the ability we have to keep in touch these days!

Oh yeah and welcome to my blog Aunt Kathleen! Sorry I hadn't thought to invite you before!

2 comments:

Callie Hansen said...

LOL - I'm reminded of the song on Napoleon Dynamite where Kip sings that song..."I Love Technology". If you haven't seen it, you need to! Have fun in Cali!

Amy said...

I hear ya, technology is great!